KARACHI: Reprimanding Karachi commissioner over gradual progress of Nasla Tower’s demolition, Chief Justice of Pakistan Gulzar Ahmed Wednesday directed him to make sure the unlawful multi-storey constructing is demolished instantly.
The chief justice was heading the court docket proceedings on Nasla Tower’s demolition case on the Karachi registry of the Supreme Court docket.
CJP Gulzar Ahmed got here down onerous on the Karachi commissioner after submission of the demolition report on the Nasla Tower in Karachi.
“What number of buildings have been demolished? How a lot work has been completed? Inform us,” CJP Ahmed requested the Karachi commissioner.
The commissioner knowledgeable the court docket that authorities have began the operation to demolish Nasla Tower.
“Don’t lie,” the CJP responded angrily.
“Sir, please take heed to me,” the Karachi commissioner began.
“Are you in your house proper now? Is that this the way in which to talk in court docket?” requested Justice Qazi Amin. “Don’t attempt to act good,” he warned the commissioner.
“Sir, I’m making an attempt to demolish the constructing,” responded the commissioner.
The CJP then requested the advocate-general what grade the Karachi commissioner falls beneath.
“He’s a grade-21 officer,” responded the advocate-general.
“Is that this the way in which a grade-21 officer speaks in court docket?” requested CJP Ahmed.
“Sir, I’m making an attempt to make you perceive,” said the commissioner.
“Cease making an attempt. You’ll go straight to jail from right here,” the CJP warned. “We’re understanding [the situation] however you are not. You’re solely passing the time,” he mentioned.
The chief justice then remarked that authorities haven’t even introduced down the Tijori Heights constructing.
“The demolition strategy of Tijori Heights is underway,” responded the commissioner.
“If the operation is underway, submit a report on it by afternoon, with footage [as evidence],” replied the chief justice.
Nasla Tower demolition will likely be sped up, says Karachi Commissioner
Shortly after the listening to of the case concluded, Karachi Commissioner Iqbal Memon arrived on the Nasla Tower to supervise the demolition work.
Iqbal arrived on the location with a number of different officers and Assistant Commissioner Income and DC East.
“Nasla Tower’s demolition work had begun,” mentioned the commissioner. “It had been halted as precautionary measures weren’t being taken,” he mentioned, including that the apex court docket had issued orders to make sure lives weren’t misplaced within the demolition course of.
He revealed that the 10th flooring of the Nasla Tower had been demolished whereas work was underway on the 11th flooring. “The Supreme Court docket has directed me to hurry up the demolition course of. It will likely be completed,” he mentioned.
Memon mentioned that the demolition of the tower, from the within of the constructing, is underway. “The method to demolish the tower from the skin will start in the course of the night,” he added.
He mentioned Nasla Tower will likely be introduced down within the “conventional means”, by means of the usage of machines and labourers, including that he was beforehand confused whether or not the constructing ought to be introduced down through managed blast or not.
Demolition work stopped on account of security issues
The Sindh Constructing Management Authority (SBCA) on Monday initiated the pre-demolition work of the Nasla Tower on the directives of Karachi Commissioner Muhammad Iqbal Memon.
Nonetheless, quickly after the graduation of the partial demolition work, Ferozabad Assistant Commissioner Asma Batool stopped it on the grounds of security issues.
“The demolition course of has been stopped for some time due to the protection issues of the passers-by,” she had mentioned, including that vast blocks fell on the highway in the course of the demolition of the constructing.
She had mentioned that with out correct security measures, no demolition may happen as a result of it may trigger harm to human lives. After consulting with the high-ups, the demolition work would resume, she added.
Earlier, the anti-encroachment police of the Sindh Board of Income cordoned off the constructing, following which the SBCA’s demolition squad kicked off the pre-demolition work. District East Deputy Commissioner Asif Jan Siddiqui advised the media that the tower’s doorways and home windows had been being eliminated. He had mentioned the anti-encroachment police had been summoned to take care of legislation and order within the space.
“Initially home windows, doorways and different small removing of the constructing components will happen,” Siddiqui had mentioned, including that there had not been any determination relating to the issuance of a young for the right demolition of the constructing.